Friday, July 26, 2013

Cypress Vine - Easy Climbers



The Cypress Vine or Ipomoea quamoclit,  is yet another plant that can give a lot of confidence to those like me who are new to apartment gardening. This is one of the first plants that I planted about 6 weeks ago. I am fascinated to see that it is growing beautifully and with tremendous speed. This is definitely one of the fastest growing annuals. I was fortunate in the fact that there had been steady rains for the past 4 weeks. Not really sure if that and the humidity helped this plant to grow to such lengths. Now I see plenty of buds and can hardly wait for them all to flower. 



Saplings or Seeds?
While I have heard that these vines grow easily from seeds too, I have yet to experiment on that. I am going to let my flowers seed and try that. But they can sure grow easily from saplings. You can get these saplings in any nursery. I got just one sapling and planted it along with a tropical oregano plant – mine is the variegated variety. Since I am balcony gardening, I choose horizontal plant containers (you can see that in the image) and plant three or four varieties of plants in the same container. I usually choose a bushy plant (the tropical oregano), a climber (the cypress vine) and a hanging plant.
This is mainly to make maximum use of the available space and give the apartment garden a fuller look.



Potting Soil and Fertilizer for the Cypress Vine
The Cypress Vine grows easily in any good soil. I used a mixture of compost, coco peat and clay soil as the potting mix. After two weeks, I added NPK fertilizer -1 table spoon in 1 liter of water. I water them only when the soil gets dry. I didn’t have to do a lot of watering since there had been rains. 

Where to Plant the Cypress Vine
Since these are easy climbers, I suggest you use a corner of your balcony to ensure that you help the plant trail along the corners. Since they have the tendency to cling on to any support to creep, it is sensible to plant them in such a way that they don’t attach themselves to your other plants. If you don’t have railing in your balcony like I have, you can actually use twines or threads to guide their growth. 

This is a blog by Farhan that shows the Cypress Vine actually growing up to 20 feet in height. http://farhansgarden.blog.com/2012/08/20/cypress-vine/
These plants are planted in the ground. But you can do something similar to your potted Cypress Vines too. Happy planting!







No comments :

Post a Comment